Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Test

The SABC one TV drama Intersexions got a lot of people thinking…and testing.
For those who did not watch it, Intersexions was about how our lives intersect and criss-cross with others’ in ways we don’t even know about. As soon as we become sexually active, we are immediately locked into a human web in which we are sleeping with hundreds, even thousands, of complete strangers. It showed how every time you sleep with someone, you sleep with their entire past.

Well, the drama also got me thinking, I wanted to go get tested. I kept telling myself that I had nothing really to worry about as i had been ‘playing it safe’ but something was urging me to go, for ‘peace of mind.’

I ignored the urge. Okay, I lie. I tried to go. I called New Start, but they told me that they do not have a permanent clinic in Pretoria. They told me that they have a satellite one, and I had to call them the morning I wanted to go to find out where they were…I called them once, they were in Garunkua. Sooo far. So I left it, and didn’t really think about it again.

On the 19th of July I had to go see my Doctor. While in the doctors rooms, being examined for what I had gone to her for, I decided right there to get tested as well. The last I had had an hiv test was about 2 years ago, in Durban, where I used to donate blood on a regular as well. i’m blood type O by the way, the rarest group that can be used to save people of the other blood groups as well. And yes, this does make me feel special.

The doctor gave me a counseling session. Asking why I felt the need to get tested. She asked about my sexual history and my lifestyle currently. She told me the options of what can be done should I be negative, as well as positive. Then I went to the Lancet Labs part of the hospital, where they drew blood. I had to sign on the test tube as well, as they can not test it for hiv without a signature. The lady at the lab told me that my doctor would tell me on the Friday, or the Monday. Then…the….wait…..began………

It was the longest few days of my life. On Monday the phone call came. When I saw the hospitals number on my screen, I stopped breathing for about 3 seconds. I let it ring for a while and probably only answered at the last ring. My hands were shaking, my palms were sweaty. My heart was racing. And the ‘hello’ only came out on my third attempt at hello.

The first thing my doctor said was ‘I have some good news for you.’ The relief I felt at that moment in time, is truly unexplainable.

I kinda knew I had nothing really to worry about, but I needed to do it for piece of mind. Intersexions really did get me thinking, just as it did almost the whole of Mzansi. So if you missed it, they are re-broadcasting it. Friday nights at 20h30, since July 22. SABC one. It is an amazing drama, a must see. And no, Curious Pictures and Ants Multimedia who co-produce the drama, are not paying me for this blog item.

No comments:

Post a Comment